[Gmsh] Transfinite Surface with OpenCASCADE engine

Marco Fossati marco.fossati at strath.ac.uk
Sat Jul 6 18:29:16 CEST 2019

Dear Prof. Geuzaine,

I would like to kind ask for support in solving an issue with gmsh with which I have been struggling from many days now.

I am using the OCC engine: I need it since I must use the boolean operation to create the root of the biconvex wing along the cylindrical fuselage. (Incidentally I tried another option with the Built In engine + surface filling but I was not getting a curvature that was smoothly connecting with the rest of the surface but was “bulging” out).

I have vehicle with an ogive at the nose. This ogive is created by extruding by revolution around its longitudinal axis. While trying to create a transfinite recombined mesh over it I get the error message:

.Error   : Surface 1 is transfinite but has 1 holes

If I extrude the line to create the ogive by asking to extrude the mesh, I get a structured mesh in the ogive, but this prevents me to apply the transfinite on the cylindrical surface adjacent to the ogive.

Please note that I need to create a manual boundary layer from the surface so I would need to have transfinite recombined. I tried with extruding the surface mesh along the normals to create a boundary layer with prisms but this creates conflicts of advancing fronts at the intersection between the wing and the fuselage (in the part after the ogive) and does not give me enough points in the viscous layer.

I am attaching my geo file for clarity.

Looking forward to a kind response.
Many thanks for your help and support

Best regards
Marco

Marco Fossati, PhD, FHEA, CEng
Lecturer in Computational Aerodynamics

Laboratory for Future Air-Space Transportation Technology
Aerospace Centre of Excellence<https://www.strath.ac.uk/engineering/mechanicalaerospaceengineering/aerospacecentreofexcellence/>

Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
University of Strathclyde, 75 Montrose Street, Glasgow, G1 1XJ
phone: +44 (0)141-574-5061

<https://www.linkedin.com/in/mae-mechanical-and-aerospace-engineering-530269156/>
[cid:1443e34b-e043-45cc-a9aa-ccbfa28d92b3 at ds.strath.ac.uk]
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/mae-mechanical-and-aerospace-engineering-530269156/><https://www.facebook.com/MAEStrath>