[Gmsh] High-order polynomial hybrid meshes

Alejandro Pineiro Lema alejandro.pineiro at upc.edu
Fri Jul 12 10:32:11 CEST 2019

Dear users and programmers of Gmsh

I am writing you in order to know if you could solve a small problem that I am struggling with. In my case, I am a PhD student who is trying to create an hybrid mesh to solve a Navier-Stokes problem.

I created some 2D and 3D geometries and high order meshes succesfully. However, now I would like to create a hybrid polynomial mesh, that is, a mesh where different elements can have a different polynomial approximation degree (and different number of nodes inside each element).

As a example, imagine a 2D mesh where some of the elements are 1st order quadrilaterals and others could be 2nd order quadrilaterals and so on.

I have seen that Gmsh is able to change the order of elements for the whole mesh. So my question is: Is it only possible to change the order for the whole mesh? Or is there any way to change the order for a specific element as well?

Thank you for taking your time to read this and I hope you can answer these questions.

Yours faithfully.

Alejandro Piñeiro-Lema

Msc Civil Engineer
PhD student