[Gmsh] Gmsh license exception question

Alexander Lindsay alexlindsay239 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 23:53:52 CEST 2019

I am one of the primary developers of the moose framework
<https://github.com/idaholab/moose>, and we are curious about adding some
meshing utilities that would leverage the relatively new gmsh c++ API.
However, we are licensed under LGPL v2.1, so as it stands now we cannot
link to to the GPL-licensed gmsh library. It looks like several more
permissively-licensed software packages have been given exceptions (looking
at your LICENSE.txt file). We would be interested in also pursuing an
exception, but we were not quite sure how to interpret the exception. The
packages mentioned there seem to be AFAICT optional dependencies of gmsh,
and not the reverse. If MOOSE was added as an exception, would packages
that linked to MOOSE and consequently to gmsh have to be GPLv2+?

Alex