[Gmsh] Large Mesh Partitioning Segmentation Fault

Joe Schickler joeschickler.jjtech at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 13:47:49 CEST 2019

Thanks for getting back to me.  Gmsh partitions fine with metis or the
plugin with smaller mesh sample.  I ran gmsh with the -part_no_topo option
and it still seg faulted.  I am running on a cloud machine with over 400GB
of RAM.  I even tried over 3TB of RAM and still seg faults.  Also tried
ulimit -s unlimited

OUTPUT FOR METIS
joe at cmsmeshing2:~/bigdrive$ ulimit -s unlimited
joe at cmsmeshing2:~/bigdrive$ ulimit -c unlimited
joe at cmsmeshing2:~/bigdrive$ sudo sysctl -w
kernel.core_pattern=/tmp/core-%e.%p.%h.%t
kernel.core_pattern = /tmp/core-%e.%p.%h.%t
joe at cmsmeshing2:~/bigdrive$ ./gmsh -merge model3dbin.msh modelpart.geo
-part_no_topo
Info    : Running './gmsh -merge model3dbin.msh modelpart.geo
-part_no_topo' [Gmsh 4.4.1, 1 node, max. 1 thread]
Info    : Started on Thu Aug  1 06:42:54 2019
Info    : Reading 'model3dbin.msh'...
Info    : 166593827 nodes
Info    : 1030066524 elements
Info    : Done reading 'model3dbin.msh'
Info    : Reading 'modelpart.geo'...
Info    : Partitioning mesh...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

OUTPUT FOR PLUGIN SIMPLEPARTITION
joe at cmsmeshing2:~/bigdrive$ ulimit -s unlimited
joe at cmsmeshing2:~/bigdrive$ ulimit -c unlimited
joe at cmsmeshing2:~/bigdrive$ sudo sysctl -w
kernel.core_pattern=/tmp/core-%e.%p.%h.%t
kernel.core_pattern = /tmp/core-%e.%p.%h.%t
joe at cmsmeshing2:~/bigdrive$ ./gmsh -merge model3dbin.msh -part_no_topo
modelpart2.geo
Info    : Running './gmsh -merge model3dbin.msh -part_no_topo
modelpart2.geo' [Gmsh 4.4.1, 1 node, max. 1 thread]
Info    : Started on Thu Aug  1 07:04:30 2019
Info    : Reading 'model3dbin.msh'...
Info    : 166593827 nodes
Info    : 1030066524 elements
Info    : Done reading 'model3dbin.msh'
Info    : Reading 'modelpart2.geo'...
Info    : Running Plugin(SimplePartition)...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

core dumps are large files and I am uploading them now to attach to next
email.  I don't have too much confidence that I did the core dump
correctly, hopefully it is correct and helpful.

Regards,
Joe Schickler