[Gmsh] Boundary layer Field for a submerged 3D object

Junting Chen chen112p at uwindsor.ca
Wed Aug 14 19:55:00 CEST 2019

Hello, I am having difficulties of creating boundary layers for a submerged
3D object. I am always getting "Error : Only 2D Boundary Layers are
supported (curve ## is adjacet to 3 surfaces)."

An example code looks like:

SetFactory("OpenCASCADE");
//creating two boxes, box1 is bigger than box2
Box(1) = {0, 0, 0, 100, 100, 100};
Box(2) = {25, 40, 0, 20,20 , 25};
//create boundary layer around box2
Field[1] = BoundaryLayer;
Field[1].EdgesList = {Boundary{Boundary{Volume{2};}}};
Field[1].hfar = 2;
Field[1].hwall_n = 0.5;
Field[1].thickness =3;
Field[1].ratio = 1.2;
Field[1].Quads = 1;
Field[1].IntersectMetrics = 0;
BoundaryLayer Field = 1;
Background Field = 1;
//carve box2 out from box1
BooleanDifference{Volume{1};Delete;}{Volume{2};Delete;}

Mostly the submerged geometry is much more complicated than a box in the
example above/attached. Please give me some hints on creating boundary
layer of a 3D object without having to create zones of transfinite lines
manually. Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Junting Chen