[Gmsh] Regular mesh only composed by tetrahedra

Francisco Pena fran.pena at usc.es
Mon Nov 25 13:40:50 CET 2019

Thank you Christophe,

Just for your records, while the limitation exists, I can confirm that it
is possible:
1. Export a GMSH mesh composed of hexaedra in VTK.
2. Open it in ParaView and apply the filter *Tetrahedralize* to create a
tetrahedral mesh.
3. Click on *Save Data* to save it as VTU.

Best regards,
Fran Pena

El sáb., 23 nov. 2019 a las 9:50, Christophe Geuzaine (<cgeuzaine at uliege.be>)
escribió:

> > On 21 Nov 2019, at 19:01, Francisco Pena <fran.pena at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to generate a regular mesh of a cube composed only by
> tetrahedra.
> >
> > When I use Transfinite Volume (see attached file .geo) I end up with a
> tetrahedral mesh, but the physical entities that define the outer surfaces
> are applied in triangles that are incompatible with the tetrahedra (see
> attached file .png).
>
> Indeed, this is a longstanding limitation of the (non-recombined)
> Transfinite Volume algorithm. We need to fix this... In the meantime, you
> can
>
> - either use (non-recombined) Extrusion with Layers
> - or manually set the interpolation corners in the Transfinite Surfaces
> (Transfinite Surface{x} = {a,b,c,d};) that do not match, to force the
> orientation.
>
> Christophe
>

> > With Recombine, I can create a hexahedral mesh but, according to
> http://onelab.info/pipermail/gmsh/2011/006408.html, there is no easy way
> to convert it into a tetrahedral mesh .
> >
> > Finally, the method TransQuadTri generates not only tetrahedra but also
> pyramids and prisms.
> >
> <incompatible.png><at2.geo>_______________________________________________
> > gmsh mailing list
> > gmsh at onelab.info
>
>> Prof. Christophe Geuzaine
> University of Liege, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
> http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~geuzaine

Francisco José Pena Brage
Departamento de Matemática Aplicada
Facultade de Matemáticas. Campus Vida