[Gmsh] Cmake configuration problem with gmsh 4.5.1

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Wed Jan 1 20:50:57 CET 2020

> On 1 Jan 2020, at 09:47, walter steffe <walter.steffe at alice.it> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I tried to configure gmsh 4.5.1 using cmake on ubuntu 18.04.
> The configure step is OK with the default cmake options but it fails
> after appling the following changes:
>      ENABLE_BUILD_LIB = ON
>      ENABLE_FLTK = OFF
>
> Then configure fails with following error message:
>
>      fatal: not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /
>      Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set)

If git is found on the system (using "find_package(Git)"), our cmake script executes "git log" to get the current commit hash.

There seems to be an issue with your git installation, which leads the git log command to fail. You could

* set GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM=1 in your shell as suggested in the git error message

* or run "cmake -DGMSH_RELEASE=1 ...", which will bypass the "git log" check

I've also just modified our cmake script so that errors in the "git log" command are now ignored. You can give it a try with latest snapshot.

Christophe