[Gmsh] Help with surface visibility

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Tue Mar 10 22:20:12 CET 2020

> On 10 Mar 2020, at 19:52, Andress <randalandress1507 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Christophe,
> <<
> The default surface representation mode is a cross of dashed lines.
>
> With OpenCASCADE you can have other representations: cf. Tools->Options->Geometry->Aspect->Surface display.
>
> To save your preferred options: File->Save options as default.
>
> Christophe
>>>
> Thank you for taking the time to help. Just what I was missing.
>
> I am very new to gmsh, and I have a few questions about the learning aids that are available:
>
> 1. Where is the user interface defined besides the reference manual 3.4 & 3.5 (for example all the windows/tabs accessible from Tools->Options->Geometry->...)

There's no formal description: I would encourage you to simply use it and look around to discover the various possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gmsh+tutorial

> 3. Are the demos at http://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/tree/master/demos any help in learning the UI?   Do the demos proceed step-by-step or do they simply execute at once the construction commands that they contain?

The repository contains many examples; some were written using the GUI (when you create stuff with the GUI, a .geo file is automatically constructed). But for most complex cases you'll want to learn how to either use the built-in scripting language (.geo files), or the Gmsh API - e.g. in Python or Julia.