[Gmsh] Extrusion of one element that is split into multiple regions

Bucksot, Jesse Edward Jesse.Bucksot at utdallas.edu
Tue Mar 31 00:15:57 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I'm pretty new here. I've had good success with gmsh so far, but I just ran into an issue when extruding surfaces that have been split into multiple separate regions due to boolean operations. When I just do one extrude, it seems to come out right, but then if I try to label the extrusion (e.g. "Physical Volume("part") = {ex1[]};") or try to extrude again by extruding ex1[0], it only does one single part of the surface.
Basically, if I take a rectangle and cut it into two smaller rectangles using BooleanDifference and then extrude it, the created extrusion (ex1[0],ex1[1]) only contains one of the smaller rectangles and not both of them.

Does anyone have any solutions or workarounds to this?
Also, my real geometry is pretty complicated, so I'm not sure how feasible it is for me to manually check for any instances of surfaces being split apart before extruding.

Thanks in advance!
Jesse