[Gmsh] 3D Mesh for Box with Inclusions

Maurice Rohracker mau.rohracker at fau.de
Mon Apr 13 18:34:09 CEST 2020

Dear GMSH developer,

I prepared some .geo-file where I want to mesh a box with spherical inclusions, which we need for some RVE and homogenization modelling. The mesh should be fully hexahedral. Right now, the shape of the hexahedrons is not very in that way in which we would like to have them (see in the attached picture). Our goal would be, having more cubed like hexahedrons.

The .geo-file adds spherical inclusions into the box by adding the centre and the radius of the inclusions to the list of bubbles in the beginning. Later on, we would not just have only one or two inclusions, but for a small test example, this should be enough.

Is there a good way to set the mesh configuration parameters such that the mesh has more general shaped hexahedrons, like cubs.

How about the parameter "Mesh.Recombine3D = 1", because in the documentation it's mentioned as experimental; should one use it, if one would like to have a fully hexahedral mesh, as we prefer to.

Thank you very much for your reply in advance.

Kind regards,
Maurice Rohracker
Master Student Computational Engineering
FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg