[Gmsh] Point In Edge - a workaround with issues

Mathias Scheunert ms79vary at mailserver.tu-freiberg.de
Fri Apr 24 11:49:18 CEST 2020

Dear developers and users,

**** The goal*

We want to create a checkerboard model to run some resolution studies
with our FE software.

For that, we construct a geometry consisting of a large box which
includes an arbitrary amount of small boxes at an arbitrary position
using the OpenCascade kernel features.

Subsequently, we add some arbitrary points to that geometry which we
need to be part of the 3D mesh, i.e. which should be contained in mesh
as mesh vertices.

In case of these points are located within any face or volume of the
geometry, `|Point | Curve { expression-list } In Surface { expression
};`| or `|Point | Curve { expression-list } In Volume { expression };`
|does it's job very well!

However, if points are accidentally located on edges, making them part
of the mesh vertex list is not possible as unfortunately there is no
`|Point | Curve { expression-list } In Line { expression };` | so far.

**** The workaround*

We tried to force Gmsh adding that points to the edges by defining small
lines which we add to the surface that belongs to the respective edges.

-> Please have a look on the attached MWE, that illustrates our approach.

**** The problem
*

We are controlling the cell sizes by using a combination of filter.

When changing the scales of our geometry or changing the parameter set
of our filters, meshing sometimes fails without any - at least for us -
understandable reason.

-> Please try using line 6 instead of line 5 in the MWE.

Does somebody have a hint how to fix that?

Or, does somebody have an even better workaround for subsequently adding
points to edges?
**

Best regards,
Mathias

ps: We are using Gmsh 4.5.6.

--
Dr. Mathias Scheunert
Institute of Geophysics and Geoinformatics, TU Bergakademie Freiberg