[Gmsh] meshing partitions

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Mon May 11 17:30:02 CEST 2020

> On 11 May 2020, at 16:32, Hansjoerg Seybold <hansjoerg at fisica.ufc.br> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> Thanks a lot for the reply. Using the visibility filter worked. I
> created a simple test case (attached)
> which creates the two mesh pieces. So now I have two meshes
> multizone_1.msh and multizone_2.msh
> which I can load in a geo file
> --------------------------------------
> Merge "multizone_1.msh";
> Merge "multizone_2.msh";
> Coherence Mesh;
> Save "multizone_merged.msh";
> Save "multizone_merged.bdf";
> Exit;
> --------------------------------------
> I understood that the coherence mesh removes the duplicate nodes on
> the common edge and the above
> script displays the mesh in the gui correctly.
> However the export is distorted as the node ordering is not updated.
> I would get the development snapshot to try to use the mesh tag
> suggestion, but how would I do the reordering
> starting from the script above?

You would do:

Mesh.FirstNodeTag=1;
Mesh 2;
Save "multizone_1.msh";

Mesh.FirstNodeTag=Mesh.NbNodes + 1;
Mesh 2;
Save "multizone_2.msh";

> regarding openmp:
>
> We (the IT cluster staff at ETH Zurich and myself) tried to get the
> openmp version of gmsh running on the cluster (CentOS 6), but without
> success.
> I managed to compile and run it on my ubuntu PC, but with very little
> speedup for the selected meshing algorithm.
> I tested openmp with two physical groups active and -nt 2, on a finer
> LC as in the attached geo for speed measurements and Mesh.Algorithm =
> 9; gmsh-4.4.1,
> a significant speedup could only be observed for del2d, but quality
> tests showed that the 'pack' algorithm gave the best meshing result

Ok I see. The "pack" algorithm has not been worked on for a while and is indeed currently sequential. We are working on updating this algorithm, so hopefully it will get much faster (and parallel) soon.

> BTW, is it possible to apply different meshing algorithms to different
> physical groups?

Yes. In .geo files: MeshAlgorithm Surface {...} = ...;

Christophe