[Gmsh] gmsh-sdk installation question

Peter Johnston p.johnston at griffith.edu.au
Thu May 14 12:54:59 CEST 2020

Hello,

I have a question about gmsh/gmsh-sdk installation under python - I realise this is not a gmsh question exactly, so hope it is OK.

I was trying to install gmsh and gmsh-sdk on a computer running ubuntu 18.04 using 'pip3 install gmsh' (I also tried 'pip3 install gmsh-sdk'). On my mac laptop (OSX 10.15.4) this works fine. It puts the appropriate python gmsh files under /usr/local/ and everything works fine. However under ubuntu it installed to files under $HOME/.local/ and python3 says it cannot find the gmsh module.  I have modified the PYTHONPATH variable to take into account $HOME/.local/, but this doesn't help.

I really don't know what is going on on two fronts:

  1.  I don't know why pip is installing things in different places between my two machines.
  2.  When I type print(sys.path) in python it points to the places where I think gmsh should be. Which files am I looking for exactly?

After a long time trawling the internet, I couldn't find anything that would help me with these issues.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter.

Associate Professor Peter Johnston (FAustMS, FIMA)
School of Environment and Science
Griffith University | Nathan | QLD 4111 | Technology (N44) Room 3.19
T +61 7 373 57748| F +61 7 373 57656 Email p.johnston at griffith.edu.au<mailto:c.l.brown at griffith.edu.au>