[Gmsh] Surface does not remesh as fine as volume

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Wed Oct 7 23:06:56 CEST 2020

> On 7 Oct 2020, at 21:58, Lisa Pankewitz <lisa at simula.no> wrote:
>
> To whom it may concern,
>
> first of all - thanks for providing this incredible software and report! It is really appreciated.
>
> I am using a geometry I used for several samples, but for this one I cannot figure out why the surface is not remeshing in the same way the volume is.
> I attached a minimal example of the .geo and one .vtk. I am working with gmsh 4.6.1.
>
> I would really appreciate it if you have a hint of what I am missing.

The surface is just not remeshed at all (cf. the error message "Error : Invalid exterior boundary mesh for parametrization") - hence Gmsh tries to produce a (refined) volume mesh that conforms to the (coarse) surface mesh.

The issue with the input surface mesh seems to be related to the orientation of input triangles (which are sometimes flipped). See the attached picture.

Christophe