gmsh and getdp help

Christophe Geuzaine Christophe.Geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Wed Jun 13 15:38:30 CEST 2001

> Peter Metternich wrote:
>
> Hallo Christophe,
>
> I would like to please you to give me some hints about using getdp.
>
> In gmsh, I have set up a fully 3D model of a coil and a permanent
> magnet.
> Unfortunately my knowledge of numerical methods is not very deep and
> consequently I have some trouble to implement the problem
> descriptions.
>
> May aims are to get an deeper insight into the interaction of magnetic
> fields
> induced by different sources (i.e. coils and permanent magnets) on
> magnetic bodies (e.g. forces on the plunger of a solenoid valve).
>
> I would appreciate any help.

Hello Peter,

Unfortunately, if 2D electromagnetic field computations are relatively
easy, 3D computations require some understanding of the underlying
mathematical theory in order to be performed. There are many ways to
solve the problem you describe, and none is perfect (different
potentials can be defined, some formulations will require the domain to
be made simply connected by the introduction of cuts, other will require
that you gauge the fields, etc.).

Before implementing a formulation in GetDP, I think you should really
investigate the formulation you want to use to solve your problem. Then
I may be able to offer you some help if you want.

Christophe Geuzaine

Tel: 32 (0) 4 366 37 10    http://geuz.org
Fax: 32 (0) 4 366 29 10    mailto:Christophe.Geuzaine at ulg.ac.be