[Getdp] boundry elements

ghather at uclink.berkeley.edu ghather at uclink.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 3 23:38:35 CEST 2002

I'm trying to find the field inside of a dialetric object in a uniform field.  I decided to test a sphere of radius 1 inside of a box of width 14 (the boundry is infinite, so I had to trucate it with the box).

Though the suggestion of definine the sphere as in t5 did reduce the error, it still isn't good enough.  Decreasing the allowed residual to 1e-14 didn't help, and neither did increasing the interpolation order.  I can't decrease the mesh length anymore because halfing the mesh lenth increased the mesh time from 4 minutes to many hours (so I doubt a supercomputer would help).

So I'm going to try to couple the finite element method with the boundry element method because the boundry element method can handle infinite boundrys, and only the boundry needs to be meshed.

Can Getdp do boundry elements?

If so, can you give me a hint as to what a boundry element formulation would look like?

--Greg Hather
(UC Berkeley 1st year)

http://mail2web.com/ .