[Getdp] Need help getting started

Marc van Doornik marc.van.doornik at mhb.nl
Tue Jul 15 15:32:38 CEST 2003

Hello,

First of all, let me start out by saying "thank you" for supplying us with
such a great piece of software!

However, I do have some trouble understanding how I can use it for a simple
mechanical problem. As a "hello, world" problem, I would like to:

* create and mesh a simple rectangular bar
* attach material definitions (such as E-modulus, poisson ratio, etc.)
* constrain it on one end
* exert a force on the opposing end
* plot the deformed shape and occurring stresses

>From the manual, I cannot comprehend how to start this problem. Creating the
mesh with Gmsh proved to be no problem, however, the rest is quite unclear
to me. Any help concerning this matter would thus be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Marc van Doornik - The Netherlands.