[Getdp] LinearElasticity2D-how to apply a force field?

Gianmario Pellegrino gianmario.pellegrino at polito.it
Mon Oct 25 18:02:53 CEST 2004

Dear Christophe,
first of all congratulations for you very good job and many thanks for
sharing it.
We're trying to evaluate (my colleague is in copy) the centrifugal stress
and deformation of a rotating lamination, but we can't figure out how to
express the forcing term as a function of x and y.
Except for that, the LinearElasticity2d example fits very well.
The centrifugal force per volume is expressed by:

f = Vector (k*x , k*y, 0)

We tried to declare this term as a function, using both $X,$Y and simply X,Y,

F[Slab] = Vector[k*$X, k*$Y, 0 ]

but the solver puts to 0 all the terms multiplied by a coordinate.
We also tried to consider f as a field coming out of a potential, and to
integrate this "mass" potential at a time with the integration of the main
equations...no way.
It looks terribly trivial..I hope it is.
Thanks in advance for you help. Best regards.

Gianmario Pellegrino
Dip. Ingegneria Elettrica Industriale, Politecnico di Torino
tel. +390115647143
fax.+390115647199