[Getdp] elasticity examples

Christophe Geuzaine c.geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Thu Dec 30 16:22:42 CET 2004

m.fenner at gmx.net wrote:

> A few questions/remarks:
>
> 1. I could not spot a precompiled LAPACK package in the package
> search of the cygwin homepage. Are you sure there is one?

No, I thought I remembered that a colleague once used a precompiled
version from them... I might well be mistaken.

> Nevertheless installing the package from the LAPACK sources obtained
> on their homepage worked well. Alltogether the setup was not as bad
> as I feared. Thanks again, Christophe.
>
> 2. I was wondering if there was a chance to model a thermomechanical
> problem like bi-metal switch with getDP. Do you have any hints?

I've never done anything like that, but I guess you should be able to
solve this problem using two coupled formulations in an iterative loop.

> 3. Why does it serve as an additional constraint if I include the top
> region into the beam region in the mechanical bending test case (your
> message from Novemer 10th)?

Because you then actually integrate some density on the surface region,
and add the contribution to the equations associated with the surface
nodes. (It's a weak, Neumann-type constraint.)

Take care,

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org