[Getdp] Getdp with Recursive Post-Processing.

Tobias Nähring naehring at iti.de
Mon Feb 12 09:36:17 CET 2007

Dear Mr. Geuzaine,

Thank you for gmsh/getdp. I'm using the combination getdp/gmsh for the computation of magnetic fields.

It is clear that if there are no sources in the domain of interest the problem may be solved with the help of a scalar potential (magnetic voltage).

It would be nice if getdp could integrate the flux of the gradient field through some surface (I've already used the integrate plugin of gmsh but some

solution integrated in getdp would be nice for the simplification of shell scripts).

I suggest that results from post-processing can be reused in further post-processing stages. Then you could define a scalar field

gradPhiY := CompY[ {grad phi} ]

in the whole domain and then integrate the ***scalar field*** gradPhiY over a plane with normal vector in Y-direction.

It is not the most efficient way to get the surface integral but at least it would be one.

The user may generalize CompY to some differential form that extracts the desired component of grad phi on the surface of interest.

I don't know how hard the task is to make post processing quantities available for further post processing steps.

Maybe it is quite simple.

This feature would open a whole range of new possibilities to exploit the FEM results in subsequent post-processing steps.

I think it would help a lot.

Best wishes,

Tobias Naehring