[Getdp] ... Formulation question ...

mkoch at gvtc.com mkoch at gvtc.com
Thu Mar 8 15:17:45 CET 2007

Hi Bernhard,

thanks for your support. I think I do exactly as you said in my
Constraint{}. I use the following line:

{Region VlmPlt;Type Init;Value X[];}

If I am not too mistaken, in 2D, this should generate a plane that
inclines linearly along the x-axis, and the "solution" actually bears
that out. Also:

d/dt(Phi) - v * Grad(Phi) = 0

works perfectly fine, even though the solution becomes very jagged at
the edges after a while, but:

d/dt(Phi) - s * Norm(Grad(Phi)) = 0

does not seem to advance in time. And the Galerkin term containing the
velocity vector v vs. the one containing the speed scalar s is
literally the only difference between the two! Well that, and using
Dof{d Phi} in the velocity term and {d Phi} in the speed term.

Therefore, I believe this has something to do with the usage or
non-usage of "Dof". I think Olivier Castany is checking out my files,
so we'll see what he might find.

Best Regards,

Matt Koch

----- Message from Bernhard.Kubicek at arsenal.ac.at ---------