[Getdp] [GetDP] Calculation of an Integral quantity

Matt Koch mattkoch at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 7 16:39:32 CEST 2007

Hello Olivier,

thanks for your quick reply, again. I have been trying to follow your
explanations, but I must confess, I am more confused then ever.

1) To begin with, it is my (probably false) understanding that the
y-axis is the symmetry axis and that the coil cross section is rotated
around that axis to give the coil body. Thus, I would have current
running in the z-direction (around the coil), and the resulting
magnetic field would then be in the x-direction and y-direction, and
at x=0, it would be in the y-direction only (the coil axis). When I
run your problems (both torus and torus3D), I get the magnetic field
in the z-direction, though. So, I must be completely misunderstanding
what the problem is about.

2) X vs. XS

It seems you are using a Green's function in your integral. Per GetDP
manual, these depend on X and XS. You also use your home-made function
J_s_source and then form the integral over a product of the two. This
now makes me believe that XS is the coordinate of integration, while X
is a general coordinate that remains. Would it therefore be fair to
say that the use of Type Integral in Quantity/Name with "In Domain"
presupposes the following:

F(X) = int(Domain) f(X,XS) dXS, where XS is in Domain

If that were so, it would indicate to me that I would not have to use
Green's functions, but could integrate over my own functions only?
Could you possibly confirm this? It is a lot of work to attempt this
in the types of problems I am interested in, so I need to be
reasonably sure I got the idea right. Furthermore, could I use a
quantity in this integral that is defined in another Name entry and
Function Space, but on the same domain?

3) Function Spaces

As far as I can tell, the following is true about the function spaces
in your problem:

"D_tot" is Region 66 & 67
"CoilSection" is Region 63
"Coil" is Region 79

a) function space potentiel_vecteur_jauge supports "D_tot & CoilSection"
b) function space potentiel_vecteur supports "D_tot "
c) function space champ_mag supports "D_tot"

a) quantity a1 is defined on function space potentiel_vecteur_jauge
b) quantity a2 is defined on function space potentiel_vecteur
c) quantity B2 is defined on function space champ_mag

Thus, as far as I can tell, neither quantity a2 nor quantity B2 has a
function space that covers "Coil". Yet, in Quantity/Name, you
integrate over "Coil" (using the "In Coil" statement, I assume). What
am I missing?

Sorry for being so dense, but as I get older, I feel my thinking
capacity rapidly drain away ...

Thanks,

Matt Koch

----- Message from castany at quatramaran.ens.fr ---------