[Getdp] solving trivial example using edge elements

William McLean W.McLean at maths.bath.ac.uk
Mon May 14 13:32:04 CEST 2007

I am new to getdp and want to understand how to use 3D edge finite
elements.  As a first step, I tried solving the easiest problem I could
think of: find the vector field u satisfying

	(u,v) + (curl u,curl v) = (f,v)  for all v in H_0(curl,Omega),

        u = g on the Boundary of Omega,

taking a constant source term f=(1,0,0) and constant Dirichlet data
g=(1,0,0), so that the exact solution is the constant vector field
u=(1,0,0).  For the domain Omega, I chose just the unit cube (0,1)^3.

Unfortunately, my computed solution uh is nothing like the exact
solution.

The attached tar file holds the geometric description file cube.geo,
the getdp program edge_elts.pro, the solver parameter file solver.par
and a 3-line shell script run.sh.  Typing

> sh run.sh

will generate the mesh, perform the FE discretization and display
the computed solution uh.

I hope someone can point out where I am going wrong.

Bill McLean.

--
William McLean
School of Mathematical Sciences