[Getdp] Eigenmodes of a dielectric structure

Pablo Bianucci bianucci at ualberta.ca
Fri Sep 19 03:57:49 CEST 2008

Hi Andre!

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 02:57:02PM +0200, Andre Nicolet wrote:

> GetDP is probably able to compute your resonances if you write your
> problem in the form of a clean (mathematically speaking) eigenvalue
> problem.

That should not be a problem, as it would be a Helmoltz equation in 2D or 3D
(probably 2D, if I can take advantage of the cylindrical symmetry).

> About the continuity of field components, there should be no problem if
> you use the correct function spaces. Have you heard about edge elements,
> Whitney elements and all that?

Of course not, I'm a poor experimentalist! :-) I'm going to start reading to
see if I can understand a bit more (I was initially looking for something more
"black-boxy", but it seems worth to delve deeper into GetDP).

Thanks!

Bye & Good Luck!

Pablo B.