[Getdp] Eigenmodes of a dielectric structure

Pablo Bianucci bianucci at ualberta.ca
Thu Sep 25 02:19:48 CEST 2008

Hi Sebastien!

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 09:38:59AM +0100, Guenneau, Sebastien wrote:

> Please note that it's neither a scalar nor a vector Helmholtz
> equation that you'll have to implement in Getdp, but the vector Maxwell
> system involving modified curl operators: you should replace
> all z derivatives by a multiplication by i*beta*z, where i*i=-1,
> beta is a conical parameter and z is the variable along the axis
> of your fibres. So, it requires a bit of thinking (details of the
> derivation can be found in Zolla et al, Foundation of PCFs, ICP 2005).

I'm interested in cavity modes (bound, or at most quasi-bound), no propagating
modes. For that case, the Helmoltz equation should work fine (as in the case
for Mie theory; I want to compute modes similar to the Mie modes, but with
perturbations that make the theory quite annoying).

In fact, looking at my notes I could go for solving a vector Helmholtz equation
(to get the fields) or a scalar one (where I would get a "potential" and get
the fields by taking the curl of it). Could anybody comment on that?

Bye & Good Luck!

Pablo B.