[Getdp] How to define Robin boundary conditions

Thomas Ward tomwardathome at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 19 07:58:29 CEST 2009

OK cracked it, thanks for the pointer to the example in the Wiki Lars,
As a resault of this I have a simple exmpale whihc may be appropriate for
the Wiki.
It is a steady state lapace equation on a cube with natural Neumann
conditons on bottom and on two sides, inhomegeneous Neumann on the two
remaining sides and a Robin type condtion on the top.

I have some hints for other beginners like me,

1. in Fomulation:
Dof{u} is equivalent to test function, {u} is equivalent to trial function.

2.
the "Support" of the BasisFunction should be the whole domain, including
boundaries, its obvious really but it took me  long time to work it out.
I originally had the support based on a Physical Volume from the .geo file
but getdp gave zero solution. When I added the bounding surfaces of the
volume to the "Support" getdp worked.

3.
To define a neumann condition in the formulation use something like
      Galerkin { [ f_neumann_left[] , {phi} ] ; In left ; Jacobian Sur ;
Integration Int ; }

and for a Robin type condition use
      Galerkin { [ f_robin_top[]*Dof{phi} , {phi} ] ; In top ; Jacobian Sur
; Integration Int ; }

f_neumann_left[] and f_robin_top[] may be as simple as a constant.

Note that there was a typo in the previous post for the robin BC.