[Getdp] large problems with getdp

Helmut Müller helmut.mueller at ingenieurbuero-mbi.de
Fri Dec 17 16:15:22 CET 2010

Hi all,

just to keep you updated:

after some hours of compiling getdp and gmesh are now full functional on a MacBook Pro. Mesh generation and calculation up to 1.6 million DOF can be done with 8GB RAM. Mesh generation for larger meshes is also possible but lasts really long.

With large problems it works now quite impressive,no more memory allocation errors.

The main problem for compilation on the mac was, that there are 4.0 and 4.2 apple compilers installed and also mpi compilers based on 4.2, but without fortran support.
openmpi (installed as suggested via macport) messed it further up, as some of the openmpi compilers pointed to 4.2 apple compiler while the fortran ones pointed to the as a dependency installed 4.3.5 GNU compiler. Linking was (no surprise) impossible with this setup.

With a proper setup it was possible to compile, link and run the apps. Just arpack in getdp produced an error, so I had to disable it.

So, thanks again, especially to Guillaume.

Just as an idea, I think on the homepage of gmsh and getdp there should be a section which describes what sizes of  problems can be handled with an optimal installation. At least I didn´t knew
what should be solvable with my hardware, so I was unsure wether it would make sense to recompile the whole bunch of src or not.

Finally thanks a lot to all the people responsible for creating and maintaining such a great piece of software!

Helmut Müller