[Getdp] Can GetDP reuse a stiffness matrix?

John_V jvillar.john at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 15:20:56 CET 2011

I am using GetDP to repeatedly solve electrostatic problems on the same
mesh. The only thing that changes from one solution to the next is the
distribution of charges. That is, GetDP is solving K.V = S for V, where
the stiffness matrix K is every time the same and only S changes. In
this circumstance it is not in principle necessary to build K from the
mesh every time. It could just be built the first time and then reused.

I have two questions:

1. Does GetDP presently implement any mechanism to do this? For example,
is there a way to export the matrix to a file after it is computed, and
then import it for use the next time GetDP is used?

2. Is this likely to save any (or much) time? Each resolution is taking
about 15 to 50 minutes on my computer, but I don't know what fraction of
this is spent building the K matrix and what fraction is actually
solving the system of equations. I know from watching the output that
all of the [0% - 10% - ... 90% - Done] convergence messages appear in
the last minute or so. If those coincide with the solution of the
equations then it may be that a significant amount of the time is spent
computing K, in which case this could lead to a big time savings.

John