[Getdp] getDP has 2 totally different convergence behaviors for the same input

Cris cioby_99 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 19:04:33 CEST 2011

Dear GetDP users,

I’ve found out why the 32 bits compiled versions behaves strange related to the convergence: It’s because the gcc compiler I used(gcc4.5.2), which is newer than the compiler used to generate the binnaries available on the GetDP site,(gcc4.1.2), behaves strange when I use -O2 optimization flag.
My suposition was: the newer the gcc, the stranger behavior when using higher optimization level.
When using a smaller compiler optimization option (e.g: -O1) the issue is solved for the 32 bit situation – no convergence issue occurs. So I've solved my issue by compiling both petsc and getDP with the optimization flags "-g –O1 ".

Cheers,
Cris