[Getdp] 3D Laplace equation with Neumann and Dirichlet boundary conditions

michael.asam at infineon.com michael.asam at infineon.com
Fri Oct 17 16:49:05 CEST 2014

Hi Gilles,

implementing natural boundary conditions in GetDP is actually quite easy. If you just want to set the derivative of u
with respect to the normal direction (a scalar value) you can just write:
Galerkin{ [ -du_dn[], {u}]; In GammaInner; Jacobian JSur; Integration I1;}

I’ve modified your example accordingly. Please find the attached files and screenshots 1 and 2.

If you have a vector and just want to get it’s normal part, you can multiply it with the build-in function Normal[], which gives you
a unit vector normal to the surface. The direction of the normal vector is defined in Gmsh, where you can also invert the direction. You should check if they are
pointing in the right direction (usually outwards, i.e. away from the computation domain). See screenshot 3.

In you .pro files there are two additional points I had to change:

-          Function space must cover the complete computation-domain, i.e. Omega AND GammaInner AND GammaOuter (Therefore I definied group “TotalDomain”)

-          In PostProcessing the value of u should be evaluated also in TotalDomain. Otherwise you cannot plot u OnElementsOf GammaInner, as GammaInner does not belong to group Omega

Have a nice weekend!
Michael