[Getdp] generated system is of dim zero

michael.asam at infineon.com michael.asam at infineon.com
Mon Jan 26 15:14:02 CET 2015

Hi Thomas,

the problem is that there are no physical numbers defined in your .geo file.
GetDP uses those physical numbers in the mesh to identify the regions.
Please add the following lines to the end of your smallVol_gewinde.geo:

Cylinder_vol = 100000;  // Arbitrary unique value
Inner_vol = 100001; 	// Arbitrary unique value
Physical Volume(Cylinder_vol) = {17611};
Physical Volume(Inner_vol) = {17617};

reload it in Gmsh and mesh it again.
Note: By specifying variables (Cylinder_vol, Inner_vol) you get their names
when you choose their visibility via the menu Tools -> Visibility -> List Browser
-> select Physical groups in the lower left of this window.

In your .pro file you have to use the same physical numbers (not the entity numbers):
Group {
    cylin_vol   = Region[100000];
    inner_vol   = Region[100001];
    start_vol    = Region[{cylin_vol, inner_vol}] ;
}

Then it works.

By the way: Instead of the fixed time step size loop you can also use adaptive time
stepping (adjusts automatically to smaller step sizes when the solution changes quickly and
to coarser time steps otherwise), which can be more efficient. You can find an example at:
https://geuz.org/trac/getdp/wiki/TimeLoopAdaptive

Cheers,
Michael