[Getdp] first post

Marco Antolovic marco_antolovic at yahoo.it
Sat Jul 15 15:40:40 CEST 2017

Hi everybody!
This is my first post on the GetDP list, I'm an electrical engineer that is starting to have a look at the world of numerical methods for PDE. I'm interested in vibro-acoustic and electromagnetics problems but at the moment I'm more focused on the latter. Specifically, 3D models for electric motors and PCB tracks inductance extraction.
I came across GetDP while using Gmsh (thanks a lot for this nice peace of software!!). I like the idea of having single environment where I can do everything so I decided to give it a go.
I had a look at the 2D motor example and I was wandering if the periodic boundaries can be used in the 3D case as well.Also, always in 3D motor models, when it is required to solve for B through the entire electrical cycle, do you have to create a new geometry/mesh for each rotor position or there is some other way to do that?
Any help on the subject is much appreciated.
Marco
PS: By the way, I'd like to report a bug on a demo file on the OneLab page GetDP - ONELAB

|   |
GetDP - ONELAB
   |   |

If you download the ONELAB bundle file (in the getting started section) for desktop (I've tried windows and Mac versions)
and try to run the demo on the inductor (3D case) you will find that it doesn't work, this is due to wrong extrude commands starting at line 76 (inductor3D.geo), see an example below:

vol[] = Extrude Surface {surf_ECore[0], {0,0,-Lz/2}};;

once these are corrected the geometry is built nicely.