[Getdp] Linear Elasticity Question

Alberto Sánchez Ramírez albertosanchezramirez94 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:43:46 CET 2020

Good morning,

I would like to start by thanking you for creating such a great software
and distributing it for free.

I intend to use to it perform calculations on linear elasticity.

To illustrate my question, I will use a simple example:

Let's say I want to compute the stress that arises inside a tube when it is
subjected to an internal pressure.

I have created the mesh on gmsh by creating two cylinders and substracting
them, giving rise to a tube. Then I have defined the inner wall of the tube
as a physical surface.

I am following one of the tutorials provided with GetDp, in particular the
file wrench2D.pro

When it comes to defining the pressure acting on the surface, the file says:

Integral { [ pressure_x[] , {ux} ];
        In Sur_Force_Mec ; Jacobian Sur ; Integration Gauss_v ; }

Because in that case the pressure was acting in the x direction. However,
in my case, the pressure is not acting in a defined direction, but normally
to a surface.

How can I translate this equation to take into account pressures acting
normally against a surface with an arbitrary shape?

Do I have to change other parts of the code?

Thanks in advance.