[Getdp] Induction Heating using GetDP

Markus Knoch knoch.markus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:45:52 CEST 2020

Dear GetDP community,

Not sure if this is the right place.
I am currently writing my bachelor thesis in electrical engineering. I want
to use GetDP to simulate a nonlinear (B(H)) three dimensional frequency
domain magnetodynamic problem using an AV formulation. I have been using
FEMM, but unfortunately all the models are non symmetrical, that's why I
have been searching for open source 3D capable alternatives. To be more
specific I want to check the eddy current distribution inside a metal disc,
made out of one ply of ferritic steel and one ply of aluminum. Under that
disc there are coils and an arrangement of ferrite elements.

Last week I used gmsh with the Python API to create the mesh using
opencascade, I have also created the geometry with the build in Kernel, as
I had issues defining different mesh sizes within one model using
opencascade.

I would like to use GetDP with Python to define the problem and for post
processing. Currently there is only the pendulum example written in Python.
The uploaded cohomology example seems to be quite similar to what I have in
mind, however while I want to use a nonlinear B(H) simulation I do not want
thermal coupling for now.

- Is this even possible (frequency domain, magnetodynamic, 3D AV nonlinear
B(H))?
- I am ofc. willing to share my progress in order to expand the python
examples

Any help is much appreciated.

Best regards

Markus Knoch