[Gmsh] Boundary conditions

Jean-Francois Remacle <remacle@scorec.rpi.edu> remacle at scorec.rpi.edu
Mon Jan 21 16:20:15 CET 2002

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, [iso-8859-2] Josef Novak wrote:

> Hello,
>             I use Gmsh for modelling geometry, generating meshand visualization of results.
>             I have my own solver and therefore I don' t use gmsh solver.
>             I don't know how define boundary conditions. I need read boundary conditions
>             from *.msh file. At least nodes, where are defined boundary
>             conditions, because I have to define displacements or electric potential in nodes. . Is it able?

Yes it is. You will find that in the ELM section of the .msh file.
Gmsh is able to group lists of geometrical entities into Physical
entities. Thos can be located on volumes, surfaces, lines or points.
In the .msh file, they will be stored as elements. As an example,
you can define a 2D mesh of triangles (Physical Surfaces) together
with line elements on the curves you want to impose boundary
conditions (Physical Lines).

You will find more informations about Physical Entities on the
tutorial 1 of gmsh located at :

http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/doc/tutorial.html

Jean-Francois.

>             Thank you for your answer
>
> Josef Novak
> Department of Modelling of Processes
> Faculty of Mechatronics and Interdisciplinary Engineering Studies
> Technical University in Liberec
> Halkova 6, 461 17 Liberec, Czech Republic
> tel: +420485353566
> e-mail: josef.novak at vslib.cz

Jean-Francois Remacle, Research Associate
Scientific Computation Research Center     (518) 276-8045
Rensselaer Polytechnic Insitute
http://www.scorec.rpi.edu/~remacle
CII
110 8th Street