[Gmsh] Bug Report Involving Surface Normals

Layne Wright lwright at lasertech.com
Fri Feb 8 18:37:32 CET 2002

Greetings All!

When exploring the geometry options in Gmsh, I stumbled upon a problem with display
surface normals. I was using tutorial file 't2.geo' at the time.

With 'Points/Curve/Surfaces' enabled, I entered a non-zero value in the normals field. Upon clicking OK,
the message window comes up with the message 'Fatal Error: Wrong list index (read)' repeating until
one clicks the CANCEL button. At this point, Gmsh is no longer responding to buttons, and the task
manager must be used to shut the program down. NT recovers gracefully from this crash, but Windows 98
subsequently given 'Out of Memory' errors when trying to run other programs, and can't be shut down using
the 'Start' bar; one must use 'RESET' to exit Windows (a pretty hard crash).

I did notice some window transparency issues in the NT crash, but I did follow the installation instructions
regarding 'opengl32.dll' in the readme file. Included at the end of this email is a excerpt from the gmsh error log.

Subsequent explorations of this bug reveals that a normal display can be had if one turns on the corresponding
number displays for points, curves, and surfaces. The normals do change length with the value entered in the
NORMAL field, but the directions assigned the normals does'nt appear to follow any rule corresponding to the
sense given when defining plane surfaces. Gmsh will crash again, however, if one then reloads the '.geo' file.

Bests Regards
Layne L. Wright
Laser Technology Inc.

Attached Gmsh error log.........

Gmsh 1.33.0
Build OS       : CYGWIN_NT-4.0 1.3.2(0.39/3/2)
Build date     : Mon Jan 21 18:35:02  2002
Build host     : ELAP15
Packager       : Administrateur
Home directory : /cygdrive/d/TEMP/
Launch date    : Fri Feb  8 10:01:46 2002
Command line   : /cygdrive/d/Gmsh/gmsh
Geometry
Info : Including 'gmsh_t/t1.geo'
Loaded 'gmsh_t/t2.geo'