[Gmsh] capabilities for periodic boundary conditions...?

Nathan Barton nrbarton at ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 19 00:38:14 CEST 2002

I've looked through the tutorial files and have been playing with the
various commands, but can't figure this out for sure:

Can gmsh be used to make meshes that are amenable to problems with
periodic boundary conditions?

I've tried using the translate and rotate commands after meshing a
surface, but the mesh does not seem to get translated. I was hoping
that for each pair of opposing faces on the 3D domain, I could mesh
one face and then translate/rotate it to make the other face so that
I could then create my master/slave node relationships. This assumes
that subsequently the 3D mesher could be made to use the surface
meshes as a starting point (in a paving sort of algorithm... I don't
know what you use).

I am trying to play with mesh refinement for a rather specialized
problem, and the rotated periodic boundary conditions are an essential
part of the physics involved. If there is any chance that gmsh could
be used, that'd be great. If not, any suggestions of other meshing
packages would be great.

Many thanks,
Nathan Barton

  Nathan Barton