[Gmsh] Geometry definition problem.

Archi Forshop archi4shop at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 07:36:53 CEST 2003

Olivier,

> > Dear GMSH users,
> >
> >          I am a newbie.
> >
> > I'm trying to build a mesh. Its geometry is
> defined
> by two
> > cylinders intersecting in the middle. When I try
> build the mesh,
> > the error message is that the boundary is not
> recovered. The reason
> > seems to be that the geometry does not properly
> define the surface
> > of the volume.
> >

> There is no surface intersection primitive in gmsh.
> Gmsh is an academic product that only hndles simple
> geometries. You can of course provide us some code
> that does such a job ;-)
>
> Jean-Francois Remacle.
>

> > How can I change it? Do I need to calculate the
> intersection
> > points of the two cylinders?

Looks like the only option. If it's a one time
operation (which I doubt), then it is much better to
actually compute it (in terms of Bezier, BSpline or
Spline for the intersection). Otherwise, I would
suggest to take a look at solid modelling package IRIT
located at (http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~irit/). This
one is a very much advanced geometric parametric
modelling treasure (in the spirit of Gmsh) that I use
from time to time that would let you compute the
intersection at no time once you learn how to handle
it. Then plug numbers into Gmsh. I have never tried
this sequence but I see no reason why this should not
work out.

...Archi