[Gmsh] Using gmsh interactively

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 18 17:11:34 CEST 2003

Jide Ogunjobi wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your software.
> I installed it sucessfully, but l am having problems
> using the GUI, expecially for the
> pre-processor(Geometry) module. I couldn't figure out
> how to define and create lines,splines, surfaces and
> volumes interactively.
> Please, can you help out?

Quoting section 8.1 of the reference manual:

(...) Even if it is often handy to define the variables and the points
directly in the ASCII input files (you can use any text editor for this
purpose, e.g. Wordpad on Windows, or Emacs on Unix), it is almost always
simpler to define the lines, the surfaces and the volumes interactively.
To do so, just follow the context dependent buttons in the Geometry
module. For example, to create a spline, select `Geometry' in the module
menu, and then select `Elementary, Add, New, Spline'. You will then be
asked (in the status bar of the graphic window) to select a list of
points, and to type e to finish the selection (or q to abort it). Once
the interactive command is completed, a string is automatically added at
the end of the currently opened project file.

Christophe A. Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org