[Gmsh] Gmsh

Christophe Geuzaine c.geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sun Oct 26 17:35:54 CET 2003

Patrice GENET wrote:

> We are using Gmsh on some PC either with Windows2K, Win98, WindowsXP and
> find it rather usefull .
>
> I am personally using Gmsh on my laptop ( windows2K). I have no problems
> when using Gmsh for post processing, but when creating geometry
> interactively Gmsh bugs very quickly . Gmsh rune properly on the other
> PC ( desktops). I have the feeling that is linked to the option file
> location and/ or accessibility.
>
> Is it possible to define the directory where the option file is to be
> located .

Not at the moment--on Unix, Gmsh first looks for the configuration files
in your home directory (by trying to use the $HOME environment
variable), then in $TMP or $TEMP, and then defaults to the current
working directory.

> Have you heard of similar problems.

There have been some problems reported on Windows a long time ago (2-3
years?), so we currently skip the $HOME test and try to load/save the
files in $TMP or $TEMP...

Can you send the full crash log? (It will contain which "home" directory
is used.)

Anyway, I will add a new test in the code so that Gmsh first looks for a
variable called $GMSH_HOME. This way you'll be able to choose exactly
which directory to use (and it will also facilitate option sharing
between multiple users).

Cheers,

Christophe A. Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org