[Gmsh] Difficulties with remeshing.

Hans Minnebo Hans.Minnebo at ec-nantes.fr
Fri Nov 21 18:09:04 CET 2003

Hello,

I'm trying to mesh a 3D-geometry (a cube) with a given "characteristic
length"-field gievn on an initial mesh.
(cylindrical, length depending on the distance to the cylinders axis)
using :
-"Apply as background mesh" with the interface, or
-the following command 'gmsh geoname.geo -bgm lengthfield.pos -3'.

In both cases, the newly generated mesh does not satisfy the given
length field : the concerned surfaces are correctly modified (in my case
: refined), but the volumes are not. Only the (volumic) vicinity of the
surfaces seem to be correctly changed.

When I create thin layers, the surface effect gives me an almost correct
result. So  I have created a thick geometry with thin layers (very heavy).

Is it possible that GMSH is not able to proceed this operation in
specific cases (including mine)?(like attractors in 3D)
Is there an other command that I have not found?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Hans MINNEBO

Ecole Centrale de Nantes
B.P. 92101, 1 Rue de la Noe
44321 Nantes Cédex 3
France
Tel: 02 40 37 68 23, Fax: 02 40 37 25 73
email: hans.minnebo at ec-nantes.fr