[Gmsh] Gmsh Geometry Format

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Sun Jan 25 10:22:35 CET 2004

Nicolas Tardieu wrote:

>   Hi!
> First of all, I wish you all an happy New Year!
> Then, I'd like to know a little bit more about
> Gmsh's Geometry Format since I have been
> thinking for a moment now about the capability
> of importing in Gmsh other Geometry Format....
> What do you think about that? Would it be conceptualy
> complicated? Which Geometry Format could be
> chosen? Open Cascade????

I don't know... Gmsh's primitives are rather simple, so it shouldn't be
too complicated to import classic things (for example, take a look at
gmsh/utils/converters/; also, there is some initial code for STEP import
in gmsh/Geo/StepGeomDatabase.cpp). But Gmsh still misses (or only
partially supports) a lot of advanced geometry features (nurbs, trimmed
patches, etc.).

IMHO, the best way would be to import a "meshed" geometry (a la STL),
and enhance Gmsh's ability to deal with that...

Christophe A. Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org