[Gmsh] Question

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 19 03:26:44 CET 2004

Roberto Heiderich wrote:

> Please, how do I associate, in the ‘.msh’ file format version 2.0, an
> arbitrary number of integer tags with each elements (change the number
> tags, for example)? This information don’t be clear for me in Gmsh
> reference manual.

Gmsh always generates .msh files with two tags (physical and elementary
region numbers).

The "arbitrary number of tags" feature is interesting if you generate
.msh files using other tools (e.g. mesh partitioning tools). You can
then set, for each element, "number-of-tags" to something different than
"2", and put your own tags after the physical and elementary region numbers.

> Gmsh 1.51 is not showing output file in format version 2.0.

By default, Gmsh still outputs its meshes in the old format. You can
select the new format with "File->Save as->Gmsh mesh v2.0" or with the
option "Mesh.MshFileVersion".

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org