[Gmsh] capabilities for periodic boundary conditions...?

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Thu May 6 17:34:30 CEST 2004

Benarafa_Younes wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> Je suis thésard au CEA Grenoble et j'essaie de créer un maillage non
> structuré avec gmsh en vue d'une simulation numérique d'un écoulement
> turbulent.
> Ma configuration nécessite des conditions de périodicité dans les 3
> directions de l'espace. Pour cela j'ai essayé de faire un "transfinite
> surface" et "extrude" (*.geo ci-joint) mais ça ne fonctionne pas car les
> faces périodiques ne coïncident pas. C'est un cas-test qui est important
> pour moi alors j'aimerias savoir s'il y a un moyen de générer ces
> conditions périodiques adéquates...

- The "transfinite surface" method is the most general, but it is *not*
guaranteed to work: if the initial 3D mesh needs to subdivide some
surface elements, the periodicity will most probably be lost. (An
additional warning: it is not possible to control the quality of the
elements produced by the 3D unstructured algorithm at the moment. This
might or might not be an issue with your CFD code...)

- To enforce periodic boundary meshes with the extrude command, you have
to use prisms (but I don't know if your code supports that).

Anyway, I attached a modified .geo file with the two options (set
"use_prisms" to 0 or 1).

Best,

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org