[Gmsh] gmsh as a subfunction

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Sat May 8 05:02:12 CEST 2004

Marvin Balaoro wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to use gmsh as a subfunction to another program instead of
> being a standalone program.  I'd also like gmsh to output to memory
> instead of to a file so that the rest of the program can read it more
> easily.  I really don't know where to begin with all of this, and I was
> hoping you could guid me through it.

You can start by looking at what we do with the --disable-gui
configuration option (i.e., look at the alternative main() in Mesh/Box.cpp).

But, frankly, at the moment, I wouldn't advise you to start such a job
if you don't feel really comfortable with sources: the current version
of Gmsh is still based on the "old" mesh database (not AOMD) and the
meshing kernel has thus many dependencies against the CAD stuff, it
relies on static data structures all over the place, etc., etc.

We will eventually clean up the mess, but it will take some time. And
Jean-Francois and I can only spend a *very* little percentage of our
time on this project... So don't hold your breath ;-)

Best,

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org