[Gmsh] Question

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Sat May 22 09:56:07 CEST 2004

Bayram Yenikaya wrote:

> Hi,
> This is Bayram Yenikaya from University of Minnesota.
> I am working on a project with prof. Bernardo Cockburn.
> Gmsh is great. I would like to ask a question.
> Can Gmsh do the following.
> I will provide mesh points on the boundary of the domain, and also a
> background mesh with appropriate mesh size values.
> I would like it to generate a mesh according to this background mesh,
> but do not add(remove) any points to the boundary.
> I would put boundary points more or less according to backgraound mesh.
> Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Dear Bayram:

Short answer: Gmsh cannot do that at the moment :-(

Long answer:

1) In theory:

* in 2D: it's possible, if the meshes are reasonably "close". Try this
for example: add "Transfinite Line{1:4} = 100;" at the end of
"t1.geo" and use the background mesh "bgmesh.pos". Even if the resulting
mesh is pretty bad, you can see that the boundary constraint is actually
fulfilled.

* in 3D: there is no way to guarantee that the surface mesh will be
respected. It will be *most* of the time, but sometimes it has to be
subdivided.

2) In practice:

Gmsh does not currently allow to read a file containing a boundary mesh
and use it as the basis for subsequent meshing steps. It wouldn't be
extremely hard to implement, but would still require some programming...

Best,

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org