[Gmsh] trying to mesh a sphere

Adrin Gharakhani adrin at Applied-Scientific.com
Wed Jun 2 01:24:27 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have just come across gmsh and was playing with it and I ended up
with the following problem.

I'm trying to mesh the surface an ellipsoid (for the sake of simplicity
let's just look at the sphere). For started I thought of meshing a
hemisphere using the following:

mu=1;
Point(1) = {0,0,0,.1};
Point(2) = {1,0,0,.1};
Point(3) = {1,1,0,.1};
Circle(1) = {3,2,1};
Extrude Line {1, {0,1,0}, {1,0,0}, mu*Pi};

When mu=<1 the algorithm meshes the surface (though the quality is poor
near the corners using no special options). However, when I use mu>1
the algorithm fails to recognize the correct surface and thus ends up
giving the wrong mesh and worse, sometimes, fails to converge.  Of
course, the same problem exists with meshing of the full sphere (when
we use two arcs - a semicircle - to extrude the surface).

Can you please tell me what is wrong with the above set of commands?

Thanks in advance

adrin

Adrin Gharakhani, Sc.D.
Applied Scientific Research                     Tel:  949-752-7545
1800 East Garry Avenue, Suite 214        Fax: 949-752-0057
Santa Ana, CA 92705
http://www.Applied-Scientific.com