[Gmsh] Post processing format

Carl Osterwisch costerwi at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 04:04:00 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am very impressed with the file output quality of the post-processor
using the demonstration files.  I think the GL2PS library is largely
responsible but the screen layout and customization is also quite nice.

I am interested in writing a translator to post-process results from my
commercial FEA package.  I have a few questions after reading though
chapters 9.2 and 9.3 which describe the ascii and binary
post-processing file formats.

1. It appears that all results are element-nodal, associated to a 3D
coordinate.  Why not refer the results to the integer node and element
numbers from the original mesh?

2. Second order tetrahedral elements are not yet supported in the post
processor?

As a suggestion for improvement, it looks like the version 2.0 mesh
file format could be extended to address these issues with additional
headings such as:
$NodeView
Temperature
1 20.0