[Gmsh] simple hexa-mesh

Christophe Geuzaine c.geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Jun 18 21:41:14 CEST 2004

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just start using gmsh and wonder if it is able to make a quadrilateral mesh for a
> square which is rotated. Hopefully the picture helps to get an impression; the
> square will probably not rotated 45�, so gmsh should just be able to generate a
> mesh until 30�.

Hi Fabian - You can do it, but not very "elegantly"... Since Gmsh does
not have an automatic quadrangle generator, you have to divide all the
surfaces into 4-sided polygons and use the transfinite or elliptic
algorithms on those. See the attached files for two examples (the first
one is simpler, but can lead to badly shaped quads for large values of
the "angle" parameter).

> If gmsh is able to do that, I would like to know where I can find more
> examples. Is there maybe any kind of wiki or geo-database?

There are some examples in the tutorial/ and demos/ directories. You can
also find user-contributed examples in the mailing list archives---feel
free add them (or other ones) in the GetDP Wiki: just create a new page
(e.g., "GmshExamples") on http://geuz.org/getdp/wiki/ and attach the
files...

Best,

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org