[Gmsh] question about meshing a floating plane inside a cube

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 8 17:07:27 CEST 2004

remacle wrote:
> At 07:25 08/10/2004, C. D. Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi Christophe,
>>
>> I am trying to mesh a 3D object (e.g. a cube) where it has a plane
>> floating inside it. I intended to have elements surrounding the plane
>> without the plane having to cut through any of them. I tried this, first
>> in 2D (i.e. a straight line enclosed by a square) with attractor line
>> and transfinite line, and then 3D with transfinite surface and none
>> worked. I got elements that were cut through by the plane (or the line).
>> Can you suggest me any method to do this kind of meshing?
>

> I'm sorry but gmsh meshing algorithms do not take into account
> embedded surfaces.

More precisely, Gmsh's algorithms are designed in such a way that the
mesh of an entity is only constrained by the mesh of its boundary--so
that your floating plane needs to be somehow connected to the
surrounding volume if you want the mesh of the plane to constrain the
volume mesh. See
http://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh_fot.html#FOOT1 for more info.

Best,

Christophe